This site is dedicated to my sled dogs, their well being and their care while we train for and run the 2007 Yukon Quest 300 dog sled race. Particularly it is dedicated to the memory of Talbot and Rocket, two of the most amazing lead dogs ever to hit the trail, now gone to better trails.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Well now that winter is drawing to a close, (although with the amount of snow we have I am not sure winter will be over till June), things are finally happening in the kennel in terms of getting the dogs out. Life with twins just is such a busy place and with working at a job away from home as well, it is challenging to get out with the dogs. Nonetheless, I am now running them to work and back each day which I really enjoy and so doe they!!! It makes for an early day, I have to be up at 5 to be out of the house by 5:30 and then out of the yard by 5:50-6:00. Really though, it isn't hugely diffeent than getting up at 4:30 to drag the generator out of the house so that I can plug in a block heater to get a vehicle going for 6:30. I usually don't sleep after that, so I might as well be up and out enjoying the fresh air. The trip to work takes about 45-50 minutes with 6 dogs, a bit slower than I used to do it running 8, but I don't really care as I am just out to have fun and the speed will pick up as the dogs get in better shape. I have six dog houses set up in a fenced storage compound at work, so I don't have to worry about being there every two hours during the day to drop the dogs as I used to do when I kept them in the trailer at work. Ultimately this will be my main source of transport to and from work next winter, as it is much more healthy for me and saves enormously on the fuel bills and wear and tear on cars and generators etc.
Sadly, since my last update (months ago), Maui has passed away. She had a tumour removed a few years back and it reoccurred. At 14 years old, I did not think it right to put her through the discomfort and pain of another procedure only to have it reoccur in another year or two. It was a sad day indeed for us, but we can be thankfull that she is not in pain and left us while she still had some measure of dignity. She has also left the kennel with some amazing offspring who are showing all her character and just as importantly her remarkable talent and confidence as a leader.

Well, I hear my two little angels have awoken from their afternoon nap and are more than likely feeling hungry. I'll deal with spelling and grammar later:>:>:

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Heather, aka: Mum said...

Hmmmm....A POST! Wow :) Maybe I should visit friends more often on weekends so that you have some downtime in the cabin to play (& type) ;) Oh...I'm liking the sound of this idea :):):)

10:11 AM

 
Blogger Janet Whitesell said...

It is great that you are able to use your dogs for transportation. Don't forget that it is not just cheaper, but also way better for the environment not to drive your truck or use the generator.

Do you drive a different six everyday so they all get to run?

3:01 PM

 
Blogger Sean FitzGerald said...

Hi janet
I do my best to switch the dogs out as often as possible. This year has been a bit of a trial run for running them to work as I have not done it for a few years, but it was great and I will be better set up for next winter. It is better for the environment for sure .... and for my headspace:>:>:>

Season is pretty much over now, as we are leaving tomorrow for a holiday for a few weeks, but we had a great season finale today with some friends and their kids from Whitehorse, sunny, warm, hyper dogs and fast trails. I even think I saw bear tracks down in the training meadow. As much as I hate to see the end of winter, spring is magnificent in the Yukon!!

Cheers

Seanimplogr

6:25 PM

 
Blogger Sean FitzGerald said...

Hi janet
I do my best to switch the dogs out as often as possible. This year has been a bit of a trial run for running them to work as I have not done it for a few years, but it was great and I will be better set up for next winter. It is better for the environment for sure .... and for my headspace:>:>:>

Season is pretty much over now, as we are leaving tomorrow for a holiday for a few weeks, but we had a great season finale today with some friends and their kids from Whitehorse, sunny, warm, hyper dogs and fast trails. I even think I saw bear tracks down in the training meadow. As much as I hate to see the end of winter, spring is magnificent in the Yukon!!

Cheers

Sean

6:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home